Arkansas Press Association  

Go Back   Arkansas Press Association > Discussion Board > Arkansas Newspaper Foundation Forum

Old 08-23-12, 09:32 AM

Default Shoe Comic: Is it the direction that circulation is headed?

Please find below an email I recently received concerning newspaper readership. It is definitely something to think about. The ANF supports newspaper readership efforts whether they are in little or big packages. Take time to reflect on your readership programs. I hope that many of you will consider attending the ArkLaMiss Circulation Conference and come back with a renewed philosophy in regards to newspaper readership programs. See the earlier post for more information about ArkLaMiss Circulation Education Grants of up to $200.00 from the Arkansas Newspaper Foundation.
Karen Brown, ANF Executive Director

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:05 AM
Subject: Basic NIE

Friends:

Please obtain a copy of the "Shoe" comic strip today. (8-21-12) It reflects why NIE across the nation is in deep trouble, and illustrates the challenge you are facing.

Recently, one newspaper executive said, "NIE is just same old, same old." How can anything be "same old, same old" that changes everyday? I'll bet most textbooks in schools are 10-years-old.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/shoe-slideshow/

A teenager is reading a newspaper, and Shoe takes his photograph. The kid asked, "Hey, did you just take my picture?"

Shoe says, "Yeah. I've never seen a kid reading a newspaper before."

Sincerely,

Al Wilson
Alfred Wilson <wilgeog1@verizon.net>

Tags
conference, grant, nie, readership