Arkansas Press Association  

Go Back   Arkansas Press Association > Discussion Board > News-Editorial/Reporting Forum

Old 04-27-09, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default George Smith offers new weekly column...free

From the Arkansas Publisher Weekly:

[Moderator's note: all of George Smith's columns will be posted to this thread as Microsoft Word documents.]

George Smith, a veteran Arkansas journalist, author, and writer of a newspaper column, “Footprints” since 1965, is offering what he calls a free, “info/politico” Arkansas-related column to APA member newspapers.

“I would provide a weekly column to APA members for distribution on their
schedule on timely topics,” George says in making the offer. “Of course, papers could pick, and choose what they run, and on what schedule.”

George says he makes the offer “as a small gesture to the profession and to the state that I call home and gave me the best opportunities the J-world has to offer…”

He says he’s been in the newspaper business for more than 50 years, starting as a carrier for the Texarkana Daily News in 1955. “In going over the state’s community papers, it’s hard not to see that the tightening economy is putting a crunch on newsroom budgets,” George added. “If my mental meanderings could supply free copy to create an environment for thought, I would feel good about the effort.”

Each column will be posted in a dedicated thread in the APA Forums (onlineservices.arkansaspress.org/forums/).
Old 04-27-09, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Default Drunk driving is no accident; it’s a bad crime

Below is the link to George Smith's first column. [Download will begin immediately upon clicking it.]

http://onlineservices.arkansaspress....ith-041609.doc
Old 04-27-09, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Mind Games: Sometimes the legislature passes really dumb laws

Here is the link to George Smith second column (dated 04.27.09) hosted on APA's Web server. [Clicking below will begin download of the Microsoft Word file immediately.]

http://onlineservices.arkansaspress....ith-042709.doc